This is the most striking of all cannas, thanks to their exotic foliage, and Tropicanna® flowers are equally gorgeous.
- As a “thriller” in large or small containers
- Planted in large groups to mask a view or create height to a landscape
- To add texture and color in garden beds
- Great in water features and ponds
- Interplanted with other tropical plants in a variety of textures and sizes
- Spacing: plant 18-24 inches(45-60cm) apart for garden border; can be planted closer together in containers.
- Mature size: in garden beds: grows to 4 feet tall (1.2m) in the first year, grows up to 6 feet tall (1.8m) in subsequent years in zones 7 and above if undisturbed (not lifted) after growing season. In containers: will grow 3-4 feet tall (1-1.2cm) – depending on variety, can be cut back any time to force new growth.
- Container Plants: Plant in a large pot, at least 18-24 inches diameter (45-60cm) to avoid overcrowding.
- Hardiness: USDA Zones 7-11; otherwise dig and store over winter in 50-60° temps. Tropicannas will start to grow when soil temperatures exceed 50ºF (15°C) in spring, but leaves won’t attain full color until temperatures regularly exceed 60ºF (20-25°C).
- Light needs: performs best in full sun; minimum of 4 hours day
- Soil requirements: will tolerate a range of soils but performs best in deep fertile soil. Will tolerate poorly drained areas
- Water needs: requires frequent watering to perform at its best
- Disease tolerance: no major disease susceptibility
- Flowering Period: June through September in most areas of US; November – March in AU/NZ
- Maintenance: minimum care; spent flowers will drop naturally. Dig and divide to maintain size and shape. In Zones 7-11, cut back to 4 inches (10cm) in late autumn.
- Special care: Avoid windy locations as the large soft leaves can be damaged.
- Bold, colorful foliage brings a tropical touch to any garden or landscape
- Exotic display of large multi-hued striped leaves
- Brilliant flowers (colors vary per variety)
- Excellent in bogs and soggy areas
- Low maintenance – spent flowers drop naturally.
Landcaping Ideas With Tropicanna® cannas: