Rock and Roll® alstroemeria’s variegated foliage is striking enough but when it comes into flower, the effect is astonishing. The foliage is a distinctive yellow fading to white with a green edge, while the flowers are a brilliant red. This dramatic color combination – the green, white and red – make Alstroemeria Rock and Roll® ideal as an occasion plant for Christmas and an attractive long lasting specimen as a cut flower. Alstroemeria Rock and Roll® flowers from Spring right through until early Autumn providing a sensational eye catching display of flowers and foliage that stand out in any surrounding.
- Mass plant in the home garden or in decorative containers
- With it’s variegated foliage, it’s an excellent substitute for hostas in warmer climates
- Makes a long-lasting cut flower
- Growth habit: Compact, bushy and clump-forming from underground shoots.
- Mature size: 2.5 – 3 ft high X 2 ft wide
- Spacing: plant 2 feet apart for edging
- Light requirements: Full sun to part shade.
- Soil requirements: Free draining friable soil, will perform best with plenty of organic matter incorporated.
- Water requirements: Average to moist, not boggy or very dry.
- Fertilizer requirements: Moderate , using a slow release fertilizer in spring and again in late summer is ideal.
- Hardiness: hardy to USDA zone 8b. Has shown to be able tolerate temperatures over 105 deg F in our trial gardens in full sun, however appreciates some shade if available.
- Maintenance: Gently pulling new or spent flower stems out from the base actually increases more flower stems. In late winter, cut the plant to ground level to promote new vigorous growth and flowers
- Disease Tolerance: No specific diseases.
- Pest Issues: Susceptible to snails and slugs.
- Flower size: 2 to 2.5 inches
- Flowering period: Spring with continuous flowering to late Fall
- Number of flowers: Masses of stems each with 6-12 individual flowers.
- Flower color: Deep red
- Foliage: Variegated green and yellow, with the yellow aging to pure white.
- Masses of dark red flowers borne on contrasting white stems
- Strong variegated foliage
- Repeat flowering from spring to late autumn
- Compact and clump forming
- Tolerates part shade to full sun