Fairy Magnolia® is a new hybrid of Michelias bred to produce masses of beautiful fragrant flowers in early spring. These plants are so free flowering that they have a flower bud at each leaf axil and have been known to provide a light flush of flowers during summer as well.
- As a hedging plant
- As an ornamental specimen plant
- For screening and privacy
- As an espaliered plant along a wall
- Perfect for small space gardens or in courtyards or balcony spaces.
- Growth Habit: upright and compact
- Spacing: 3 ft apart to create a hedge; up to 5 ft for looser screens
- Mature size: 9-12 ft (3 – 4m) high and 5-7 ft (1.5 – 2m) wide
- Hardiness: USDA Zone 7b – 11
- Light needs: full sun to partial shade
- Soil requirements: performs well in a range of soil types, but prefers well worked friable soils; avoid very heavy water logged conditions.
- Maintenance: trim to shape, can be trained to single leader or trimmed as a bush, hedge, topiary or espalier.
- Disease tolerance: not usually susceptible to diseases, but can get some leaf spotting in low light levels and if crowded.
- Masses of fragrant flowers run along the length of each stem
- Flowers from March to May (early spring)
- Masses of russet colored buds opening to lilac-pink flowers in Spring
- Medium dark green foliage
- Quick growing and free flowering
- Fairy Magnolia® Blush (soft pink flowers)
- Fairy Magnolia® Cream (creamy white flowers)
- Fairy Magnolia® White (bright white flowers) – Coming Soon!